The Special Education Unit’s (SEU) main aim is to assist in the planning, coordinating and implementation of special education programmes in schools for children with special educational needs (SEN).
The SEU’s objectives are as follows:
1. To prepare guidelines and assist in formulating policies for the successful implementation of special educational programmes and delivery services within the inclusive school system;
2. To identify students with SEN;
3. To ensure quality educational programmes and services are provided for students with SEN within the inclusive school system;
4. To plan, design, implement and evaluate appropriate educational programmes and delivery services for students with SEN within the inclusive school system;
5. To provide continuous professional development for teachers;
6. To promote awareness to teachers and the school community on the successful inclusion of students with SEN;
7. To develop resources for students with SEN;
8. To keep a national data bank on students with SEN;
9. To evaluate the effectiveness of the special education programmes, service provision and service delivery within the inclusive school system;
10. To initiate and carry out research on inclusive education and education in general;
11. To liaise with national and international agencies in order to provide the most effective services to children with special needs.
12. To raise public awareness through the mass media.